Baking and Christmas are synonymous. I haven’t perfected grain free, dairy free, chocolate chip cookies since I first got diagnosed with food allergies but I think I finally did it. Now, with a kiddo in the mix, I want to give him treats that aren’t completely void of nutrients so even though he has thankfully outgrown his food allergies, I feel better about baking goodies that have a better nutritional profile even if it does have lots of sugar. I mean, ‘Tis the season, right? Plus, how cute is it to bake with a toddler and I don’t mean that sarcastically. He was super into it.
If you want a yummy chocolate chip cookie recipe, then get your baking pan ready!
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (don’t use melted coconut oil or it will turn your batter greasy. If it is melted, place it in the refrigerator until it is the consistency of softened butter. You can sub butter for this but it won’t be dairy free or use Earth Balance vegan butter)
- 3 tablespoons of unsweetened apple sauce (to avoid having to use so much oil #caloriewin)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (if you try to use stevia for this one, it won’t bake the same)
- 4 tablespoons natural almond butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature ( if you want to make this vegan, use 2 chia seed eggs. I haven’t made it with flax eggs)
- 1 1/4 dark chocolate Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix all ingredients together using an electric mixer.
- If your coconut oil is preventing it from mixing well, use your hands to incorporate it all together.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 1 hour or until the dough is firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into small balls. Place 4″ apart on the prepared baking sheet. I had to use two baking sheets!
- Bake for 11-12 minutes or until the surface of the center of the cookies no longer appears wet. They will be very soft and look somewhat gooey but trust me, they will continue to cook as they sit on the cookie sheet and will turn out perfect.
- Pour some hipster milk and enjoy!